If you are new to this blog, I and a friend of mine – both mothers – design a project every week to consciously experience Compassion, Love and Beauty.
This week’s project was to think about the impact of Human habitat expansion on animals and to figure out ways to live a lifestyle that’s closer and more friendly to local animal life. The goal was to help our children develop compassion towards animals, birds heck even insects!
Below is the itemized list of everything we did this week to accomplish our goal-
1) Talked to all the kids at different times multiple times this week about how our lives affect animals.
2) We talked about the impact animal life can have on our environment by watching This Video (Click Here)
3) I conscientiously try to direct my son’s attention to nature during walks and drives. And it has paid off! During walks now HE draws my attention to “Beautiful Flowers”, Birds on the roof and Shapes of the trees.
4) We planted strawberries and plan on doing more of that all spring. Together we will look at which vegetables we can grow that can be food for the native animal life.
5) Renewed our commitment to filling up our bird feeders and going to feed the fishes every Saturday.
Mindfulness towards nature is and has been a way of life for Hindus since perpetuity. However, rigors of modern life sometimes draw us away and blind us to the divinity available all around us in Nature. This week helped us strengthen that awareness and we will now strive to keep this momentum.